We often have left over foods after each and every meal. Proper handling is needed in attending to this. In record shows 5 million tons of food were being thrown in California alone. We can have suggested scrap food management to reduce food waste and save money from undesirable disposal. Those Food scrap should be keep refrigerated to avoid mold builds up. I have here most common food scrap and proper prevention tips for recycling and reusing those resources.
Tips and Ideas in handling your food scrap
1. Bread– we often had left over breads, the best way to treat those breads are by toasting it and then pound it to pulverized then store it in reusable bag. You have now a home-made bread crumbs.
2. Veggies– can save and stored for future use like when you’re making a soup, fried rice and macaroni. In making fried rice; you may heat the butter, saute garlic and onion then add in your veggies scrap like the carrots, squash, and other more veggies then pour in the rice, mix it well. For soup, like for instance you have instant soup, after boiling you may add your veggies scrap, or if you’re cooking a macaroni soup, first you may saute garlic and onion in your heated butter follow your left over veggies then pour in the broth of your choice like (chicken, beef or shrimp) when it’s sets to boil put your macaroni keep stirring, then add milk, pepper and salt to taste.
3. Fruits– fruits like peaches, mango, berries, papaya and many more can still be useful in the next meal. you can use it in making smoothies, yogurt, cereal, pancake and muffin. In making pancake, once you mixed well the premixed pancake you may add your left over fruits then put it in the pan.
4. Meat– you can incorporate your meat to other cooking, like when you are going to saute or stir fry some veggies, you may use your left over meat as a flavor. You can add it in dishes like pasta, sandwiches, fried rice, soup and many more. Barbecue food scrap (pork or chicken), you may use it in making fried rice, or soup and sandwiches too, like the left over spaghetti sauce, you can recycle that if you’re going to make a pizza, add the left over spaghetti sauce as toppings then add mushroom, green and red bell pepper and cheese and baked it in the over.
5. Fish– fish had certain taste once it’s already left over or you’ll eat it the next serving the freshness and quality doesn’t stay. So the proper way of treating your fish scraps are by, first you may remove it out of the bone and reuse it in making fish ball; gentle remove all the bones, then added many chopped onions, carrots, flour, and some salt to taste, mixed it well. reshape it into round and dip it into egg and coat it with bread crumbs and deep fry it. You may also use it in making escabeche; saute garlic, onion, tomato, carrots, green and red bell pepper then put your left over fish to stir fry with your sautéed garlic, onion, carrots, after that pour in some juice or water then add vinegar, let it boil for a few minutes and then add salt and sugar, the taste should be sweet and sour.